Thursday, January 14, 2010

Burgers and Fries... the slightly healthier versions...

How can you make burgers and fries healthier? Well, I am not claiming to be a nutritionist, nor do I claim that this was a diet-friendly meal, but if you are going to go burgers and fries, this definitely takes a little bit of the guilt away...

Let's start with the fries. Regular fries are delicious. But if you are up for something really, truly yummy, ditch the potatoes and grab a butternut squash. Yup. Squash. Sweet, tasty, and actually chock full of healthy goodness. And really easy to make. Peel the squash, slice it up, cut the slices into fries, make sure to scoop out all the seeds, put the fries into a zippy bag, add some extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle on your spices of choice (today we used a little salt and a little cinnamon sugar - these can totally go either sweet or savory!), cook in a high oven (400* is good) for about an hour - presto. Yum. And totally kid friendly, both to make and to eat. Little miss loves to scoop seeds, sprinkle spices and shake the bag. And offer encouragement to her mommy to be extra careful with the knife...

As for the burgers? Ground turkey instead of ground beef. Okay, that isn't exactly revolutionary or surprising... but I want you to remember the positive, healthy parts of this burger before I admit that it was a bacon-cheeseburger. On which I put mayo, ketchup and mustard. But, you know, I had my veggies, too - in the form of lettuce, tomato and avocado piled deliciously on top. Little miss, in case you were wondering, skipped the condiments, but also skipped the tomato and avocado... But put a salad's worth of lettuce on her burger, and ate every single bite.

1 comment:

  1. Flish my love! Blogging! Who woulda thunk? :) I will have to give your banana bread pudding a go. I was in a bread pudding phase a few years back, sometimes with carmelized bananas & crystalized ginger -- delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails